upper room daily devotions

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

today my heart rises


Last week I wrote about my heart hurting at the needless slaughter of three very rare lions. My heart sinks at such stories. I feel the need to claim that my heart rises when I read of an environmental gain or an ecological triumph. They don't seem to happen very often. But sea turtles have returned to South Africa in record numbers. The turtle is the image of my soul; I have a little ink on my leg attesting to the power of the turtle as a symbol of steadiness, peace, wisdom, and longevity. If you are interested in learning more about the surprising return of endangered sea turtles, read here. God made this beautiful, remarkable, and tenacious Earth. We were tasked with tending it. This lies at the heart of my understanding of my faith.

*This picture comes from the Coastal Resources Division of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. Go to their website to learn more about sea turtles, especially those found in waters off of the coast of the US.

No comments:

Blog Archive