In a recent article, the New York Times magazine featured an article about Mars Hill Church founder Mark Driscoll. I was interviewed for the article so I knew it was being written. When I read the final product I was surprised by its content. An article that I thought was going to be about the phenomenon of the church, the charisma of its pastor, and the church's place in the emerging church movement wound up to be more of an assessment of New or Neo Calvinism.
I'm wondering if others have read the article and what you thought of it. I am still mulling over its contents.
Since I was quoted (albeit a very short and insignificant quote) in the article, several members of the congregation that I serve have come to me to discuss Calvinism, how it differs from Wesleyanism (if I can use that as a word), and to delve more deeply into the particulars of theology. If the article achieves no more than that, I find it a very helpful thing.
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (34)
- ► 2011 (33)
- ► 2010 (34)
- The Mobilization to End Poverty - Anyone Going?
- "Ash Wednesday" by TS Elliot
- Bishop Gene Robinson on The Daily Show (and more)
- Joseph Lowery's Inaugural Benediction
- VIDEO: Bishop Gene Robinson's Prayer
- National Prayer Service with President Obama Webca...
- Bishop Gene Robinson's Inaugural Prayer
- Religious Presence at the Inauguration
- Who Would Jesus Smack Down?
- Bible Basics
- Worship is Worship - What I Want in Worship
- ▼ January (11)
- ► 2008 (56)
- ► 2007 (111)