What sounds like a joke isn't these days. Ted Turner has joined the efforts of the UMC, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the ELCA, and the NBA to fight malaria in Africa.
This is the article in today's Seattle Times:
"Turner gets religion
Ted Turner, 69, who once called Christianity a "religion for losers," Tuesday launched a $200 million joint health program with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and the United Methodist Church to fight malaria in Africa. The CNN founder said his thinking on religion had evolved and he regretted his words. "Religion is one of the bright spots as far as I'm concerned, even though there are some areas ... where they've gone over the top a little," he said. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation chipped in with a $10 million grant to be used to help publicize the campaign in churches."
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (34)
- ► 2011 (33)
- ► 2010 (34)
- ► 2009 (31)
- GC Blogs that I Read
- Today is World Marlaria Day...Uh, Let's Celebrate?...
- Committing to Sabbath...Maybe
- More Earth Day Stuff
- Happy Earth Day - It Isn't Easy Being Green
- Reflection on "Seeds of Compassion" with the Dalai...
- Marsalis Writes Jazz Mass
- Americans No Happier Now Than Forty Years Ago
- So, Ted Turner, Bill Gates, and the UMC go into a ...
- ▼ April (9)
- ► 2007 (111)